is Principle Logic
My name is Kevin Beaver and I am the founder and principal information security consultant of Principle Logic, LLC. I am an independent information security expert and I help businesses protect their Web applications, computers, mobile devices and information assets from malicious or careless employees, criminal hackers and unforeseen events. I focus on performing realistic information security assessments that help take the pain out of compliance and, most importantly, minimize business risks. See what my clients have to say about my work.
I have over 24 years of experience in IT - 18 of which have been in information security. For the past 12 years I've worked for myself as a consultant, author, professional speaker and expert witness on information security and compliance. See my bio page for more about my background and my resources page for links to the books, articles, whitepapers, webcasts, and videos I've written and recorded as well as links to my blogs and Twitter updates.
What I do
I can help you with the following services:
- Information security reviews
- Web site and application security assessments and penetration tests
- Mobile app security assessments and penetration tests
- Network vulnerability assessments and penetration tests
- Expert witness and litigation support services (consulting and testimony)
- Speaking engagements (keynotes, seminars, panel discussions and webcasts)
- Security breach analysis (if your business has been hacked or experienced an internal security breach and you need to determine what was vulnerable and likely exploited)
If you want the services of an information security expert who can assess your organization's information security from an unbiased outsider's perspective, an expert witness to help you with your case, or a well-known speaker for a keynote address, seminar, panel or webcast I can assist you. See my services page for more details on how I can help onsite or over the Internet.
Who typically hires me
The people who hire me need specific expertise and assistance navigating the information security and compliance puzzles with the longer-term goal of minimizing business risks. My clients include internal auditors, IT managers, compliance officers, business owners and CTOs/CIOs at Fortune 1000 corporations, banks, non-profits, software development firms, IT and security vendors, credit unions, 911 operations centers, small businesses, universities and municipal government agencies. I also perform subcontract work for IT and security systems integrators and consulting firms.
How I'm different
I don't have "CEO" or "President" on my business card. I'm not a hands-off "analyst" calling the shots from the sidelines either. I'm a hands-on practitioner. I focus on being street smart and practical in my work. I'm a technical engineer at heart that equally understands the business side of IT and information security. I don't claim to be everything to everyone but I am confident in my information security assessment skills. I also don't sell or install security products. I focus solely on performing assessments, making recommendations for remediation and then stepping away. This eliminates any conflicts of interest.
I'm not an auditor. I come in peace. I don't deliver reports to make you look bad. Nor do I simply perform checklist tests or run basic scans and hand over the reports. Instead I'll provide a custom analysis of the weaknesses that matter in your environment - the ones that the regulators, your business partners, your auditors and your customers want to know about.
I'll show you where you are now and where you need to be. Ultimately, if you follow my recommendations, you'll improve your information security program. The good news is that you won't have to worry about completely retooling your systems and operations based on what I find. Contrary to common recommendations, most information security weaknesses have simple solutions that don't have to be complicated or expensive.
My formal education in engineering and business management combined with over two decades of hands-on technical experience allows me to provide practical recommendations that make good long-term business sense. I won't deliver a thick, fluffed-up report that looks pretty on the outside with no substance on the inside. I'll tell you just what you need to know - in a way that's easy for you and your team to understand. Nothing more and nothing less.
I'm a Certified Information Systems Security Professional - CISSP - the industry standard and highest-level certification in my field. When it comes to my expert witness work and speaking engagements I'm also a great communicator who can filter reality and facts from the hype and noise and present it in a way that everyone understands. Don't take my word for any of this. See what my clients have to say.
Perhaps most importantly, I've been doing my own thing working for myself since 2001. I'm going to keep it that way so you'll know I'll be around for the long haul.
Finally, I've authored/co-authored 10 books on information security including:
What you can expect when working with me
I'm committed to being an information security expert who provides a human
touch, is easy to reach, and is enjoyable to do business
with before, during and after the sale. When you bring me on board you're going to get:
- A well-known leader in the industry, professional work, and unmatched information security credentials that you can share with your customers, business partners, shareholders, etc. proving that you've got the right person for the job
- Fair pricing relative to the market and the expertise I bring to the table - you'll go into the engagement knowing my fees and your investment - and not get caught off-guard at the end of the project
- A highly-technical engineer that equally understands the business side of information security and compliance
- Someone who requires minimal time on your part. I know you've got audits and other projects to tend to so I'll stay out of your way as much as I can.
- Small business flexibility and response time - all with minimal overhead. This way you'll pay for knowledge, tools, and experience - not overhead for sales, marketing, operations, brand name, etc.
- Personal touch service that the big guys can't offer - you'll have the same consultant working with you on an ongoing basis rather than a different person for each project - and no separate sales people or project managers to deal with either.
- Contextual insight into the security issues that really matter - not just someone who works off a checklist or claims everything is at risk because of unimportant issues discovered
- Leading security testing tools including freeware, open source, and (mostly) commercial products from reputable vendors
- Professional security assessment advice and reports containing unbiased insight and real-world recommendations that all key players in your organization can benefit from
- Accessibility and responsiveness for questions that arise after your work is complete
You'll start and end up with someone that knows your business, your network, and your needs and offers practical advice on dealing with the information security risks at hand. If we determine that your project requires greater resources than one person can handle, I'll pull in other industry leaders I've worked with and have grown to trust to ensure your work is completed in a prompt and professional manner. Either way, you'll deal with one email address, one phone number, and one person - period.
The bottom line is that I have performed the hands-on work, written the books, given the speeches, and taught the classes to form a solid reputation for my information security expertise, leadership in the industry, and ongoing customer loyalty. You'll be truly pleased.
For your convenience I accept: